Progressions of a Daydreamer

My blog is about my growth toward success and my attempts to achieve my dreams ! My ultimate career aspirations are to become a makeup artist and a registered nurse; yes both (: It’ll contain everything from the subject of beauty to just random thoughts in my life as well as life in general. I believe that every girl and woman is beautiful in their own ways & there are always some way to enhance that beauty.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." - Goethe.

“In life, many thoughts are born in the course of a moment, an hour, a day. Some are dreams, some visions. Often, we are unable to distinguish between them. To some, they are the same; however, not all dreams are visions. Much energy is lost in fanciful dreams that never bear fruit. But visions are messages from the Great Spirit, each for a different purpose in life. Consequently, one person's vision may not be that of another. To have a vision, one must be prepared to receive it, and when it comes, to accept it. Thus when these inner urges become reality, only then can visions be fulfilled. The spiritual side of life knows everyone's heart and who to trust. How could a vision ever be given to someone to harbor if that person could not be trusted to carry it out. The message is simple: commitment precedes vision.”

- High Eagle

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Contouring, Highlighting, & Blush .

Contouring the face is to highlight & downplay certain facial attributes to make your face more oval because that’s the "ideal" face shape.  Oval is ideal just because it's more symmetrical / "perfect" I guess for lack of a better word ?  Also, contouring your face gives it a more natural look regarding color because by applying one color of foundation all over the face makes it that one color of course.  So by adding touches of bronzer or a darker shade of foundation/eyeshadow here and there gives a more natural color contrast!   For a more natural look I prefer matte colors but if it's for a night out a shimmery bronzer is no problem

If you do not know your face shape even after reading my Face Shapes post and you want to contour, the best and easiest thing to do is just apply bronzer where your face is naturally darker !  Or in other words, if/when you tan where on your face does it get darkest ?  (Apply there).  Even if you do not tan, just analyze your face before you put on any makeup and take note of areas that are the darkest!  No matter what you want to still look like you and look natural, so if all else fails and you are still unsure of what your face shape is use the methods above to contour.  Also, if you REALLY want to know what your face shape is feel free to leave a comment on any of my posts and ask me, attach a pic of yourself where I can clearly see your whole face straight on and I’ll tell you !  (:  Obviously, if you already have a straight on pic of yourself as a profile picture then you can skip the attach a pic part lol.

To give the illusion that I have higher, more defined cheek bones I suck in my cheeks to create a guide and where my cheeks have sunken - that's where I apply the bronzer or darker foundation. Since I have a heart shaped face, I also apply a dark color to my temples, and the last place I apply my bronzer is right underneath the jaw.  This just emphasizes the bone structure in my jawline, sometimes I do it sometimes I don't.  It's a personal preference kind of thing.  Apply the bronzer however you like whether in a line or patting it on, but make sure you end the application in circular motions to fade it out into your skin so you eliminate any harsh lines.


For the application of your darker shade to contour, use a brush if its powder bronzer/foundation and your fingers or sponge if its liquid/cream foundation.  After applying your foundation, take your darker color that you are using to contour and stroke it on with a sweeping motion then blend out with circular motions.  Or you can pat it onto the skin then use sweeping and circular motions to blend it out.

Highlighting is another part of contouring the face that is done according to your personal facial features and your face shape; again read my Face Shapes post for more information !  Highlighting will bring more emphasis & attention to the area.  For me however, I highlight my forehead, chin, bridge of my nose, and the bone just below my eyes.  


When applying you can use a brush if its a powder base highlighter or your fingers if its a cream.  Dab onto skin and blend it out !

Blush -

When you're doing blush you can use any color you want but you always want to try to keep it in the undertone that matches your complexion.  Whether it be yellow, red, or pink.  To prevent making yourself look like a clown, it is best that you use a natural blush color for your skin.  To get more information on whether or not you have a warm, cool, or neutral skintone and what color your skin's undertone is check out my other post titled Foundation and Skintones.

To find your natural blush color simply pinch the apples of your cheeks and watch what color the area turns when the blood rushes to the skin.  That is your natural blush color !  Simple right ? (:

When applying blush to the apples of your cheeks, dab on with brush or fingers and blend out toward hairline/middle of ear.


** Note: It is important when contouring, highlighting, and applying blush that you blend out the colors into each other; erasing any harsh lines!

No comments: